Navigation apps have become an essential tool for smartphone users. Now whether you want to check directions for unknown areas, live traffic updates, public transport schedules, local business information or more, you can do it right on your smartphone. There are a wide variety of navigation apps available for iPhone users. iPhones come with Apple Maps as their default navigation app, but you can install a third-party alternative on your iPhone.
Google Maps is one of the most popular and accurate navigation apps available on iPhone. But can you make Google Maps the default navigation app on iPhone? Let’s find out here.
Can I make Google Maps the default navigation app on my iPhone?
Apple does not officially allow Google Maps to be set as the default navigation app on iPhone, but there is a workaround where you can use Google Maps features. You may have noticed that all the navigation or shopping links open in Apple Maps, but the information in Apple Maps is not as fresh as in Google Maps.
Whether you’re looking to check out the latest reviews of a nearby store or just jump to the Google Maps app, you’ve come to the right place. How to Set Google Maps as Default Navigation App on iPhone
How to make Google Maps default on iPhone
First, make sure you have the Google Maps app installed on your iPhone, if so, make sure you update it to the latest version available, tap here to check for updates.
If you want to open any navigation, business, store, or directions links on Google Maps, you need to install several Google apps on your iPhone. The list of Google Apps includes the Google Search app, the Google Chrome web browser, and Gmail. Yes, these three programs are required to redirect all navigation links to Google Maps.
Installing these apps on your iPhone is not enough, you need to set these apps as default apps to redirect navigation links to Google Maps. Whether you have iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone 11, iPhone 12, iPhone 13, iPhone 14 or any other model. You can follow the steps below on an iPhone running iOS 16 or later.
Here’s how you can change the default apps on your iPhone.
How to Set Gmail as Default Mail App on iPhone
- Open Settings on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap Gmail.
- Select the default messaging app.
- Now tap on Gmail to set it as your default mail app.
How to Configure Gmail to Open Navigation Links in Google Maps
- Open the Gmail app on your iPhone. You must sign in with your Google account in the app.
- Once done, tap on the three lines available at the top left corner.
- Now select Settings and then tap on Default apps.
- Turn off the toggle for Google Chrome to ask me which app to use every time.
- Now select Google Maps under Navigate from your location and Navigate between Locations.
- It is now complete.
How to Set Google Maps as Default Map in Google Search App
- Launch the Google app on your iPhone and sign in to the app.
- Now tap on your profile picture in the top right corner
- Open the settings menu.
- Select Settings and tap General.
- Now tap on the Default Apps option and select the Google Maps app.
How to Set Google Chrome as Default Browser on iPhone
- Open Settings on your iPhone.
- Scroll down, tap Google Chrome.
- Select the default browser program.
- Now select Google Chrome as your default browser.
Now when you open a navigation or business link from Google Chrome or Gmail, it will open in Google Maps instead of Apple Maps.
If you travel a lot and usually search different places, you can change your default browser to Google Chrome. Yes, you can pin the Chrome app to your home screen, plus you can even place it inside the dock.
This is one of the easiest ways to set Google Maps as default on iPhone. If you still have any questions in your mind, drop them in the comment box.
Want to learn more about iOS 16? Here is a new video about Apple’s new operating system for the iPhone.