knowing the methods and means
What is personality?
A persona, also called a buyer persona or marketing persona, is a fictional profile of a person created by companies in order to approach their target customer. It is, in a sense, a complex portrait of a group of potential customers. Persona learning is an important step in your marketing strategy to personalize your message and tailor your strategy to specific prospects and customers.
Personality has several purposes:
- Delivering a relevant and tailored message,
- Better understand who your users are and how they act,
- Set up individual marketing campaigns,
- Offer targeted products and services.
By identifying the motivations and barriers of your target customers, you will be able to identify one or more persona profiles and thereby tailor your offer and communication. This marketing technique is used by all types of companies and for a variety of projects: improving a website, launching a product, providing a better user experience, developing an app, etc.
Basic elements of personality
The data found in personality studies are generally behavioral and demographic (see picture of one). Here are the main elements that help you create your personal profile:
- Name, gender, age, marital status, place of residence,
- Profession and socio-professional category,
- Lifestyle and interests,
- needs and expectations,
- Goals, problems, motivations,
- Obstacles, brakes and frustrations.
How to get information to create an identity
1. Conduct interviews with your existing customers
To create your identity, it is important to collect all the data, starting with the data that comes directly from your customers. Ask them about their habits, expectations, barriers and why they trust you. These interviews will allow you to get the maximum possible feedback on your structure.
2. Analyze your database and statistics
Your database is a gold mine of information, allowing you to get to know your users better. For example, take an e-commerce site: Through the purchases of Internet users, the site manager can determine the average basket size, types of clothes purchased, favorable periods for purchase, etc. Using CRM software also allows you to collect quality data.
When it comes to the statistics on your website, they are full of important information to learn about the usage of your users. Geographical location, days and hours of connection, types of devices used… Such insights will help you understand your audience and create your buyer persona.
3. To observe information circulating on the Internet
Regularly, consumers share their opinions about the products they use. This opinion published on social networks, forums or websites is visible to everyone, objective or objective, positive or negative. These comments, published on different platforms, can guide you to what your enterprise’s users are thinking and provide insight into their consumption patterns.
4. Conduct quantitative and qualitative surveys
Surveys are effective ways to build your personality:
- Quantity Survey: personal situation, salary bracket, age… this measurable information is information that already exists. Quantitative surveys are generally conducted from your database, customer portfolio, or via a questionnaire distributed via email or published on your website. By conducting a quantitative survey, your goal will be to average these results to try to distinguish several personalities.
- Quality inquiry: this in-depth survey allows you to understand and study the behavior and motivations of the target group. This step is possible based on quantitative elements and information taken directly from the people interviewed. To conduct a qualitative survey, you conduct interviews, make phone calls, collect customer feedback to get verbatim feedback, and more.
What are the tools to create an identity?
There are several tools available to create your identity. Among them you can find:
Create My Persona
Offered for free by HubSpot, Make My Persona lets you create your buyer persona in minutes. To create a composite portrait of your ideal customer, you answer a few questions (age group, education level, goals, etc.) and end up with a dynamic and colorful document that you can download, receive via email, or share on social networks. .
Xtensio offers you a variety of free templates where you can integrate your identity information. You can customize each field (age, personality, frustrations…) and change the font, color, etc. you can choose. You have the option to export your identity in PNG and PDF format, share it using a link, embed code, or invite others to view it.
Free and easy to use, Soway helps you identify your target customer using a marketing persona generator. Place of residence, age, fears, favorite book, professional challenges, life goals… After these few questions, you define your typical profile in just 6 steps.